Tuesday, May 13, 2014

GM Tribute

I've noticed, over the years, that players will sometimes offer tribute to their Game Master. Sometimes it's little things like cooking dinner when you've invited the group over to your place to play. Other times it's more obvious, like when a player hands you a chocolate bar and asks, pleadingly, "Please don't kill my character."

Most of the time I'll accept the offering and give a little bonus, like a +1 in a situation where the character would normally fail without the assistance. However, I make no promises of when the aid will happen, and no amount of bribing will make me take pity on a player who has done something foolish that doesn't help further the story (like attacking merchants in the city street because they're your racial enemy).

So far, my player's favorite bribe is chocolate. What do you other GMs get bribed with? And do you actually give your players any leeway when they try to bribe you?


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I recall that situation of someone attacking their racial enemy in a town. Didn't end well for the player if I recall.

    As for being bribed, good RP and commitment to the story is what I use as bribery. Wasting my time, or purposefully trying to mess with my story because you can - fastest way to lose any benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shh! That's a GM trade secret. You aren't supposed to tell the players that if they cooperate and further the story, we're more likely to give them cool gear and special priority in the story. :p

    ReplyDelete